20 April 2008

State of journalism in Singapore - sounds fairly familiar... :)

Loh Chee Kong did an interesting one about the State of Singapore journalism in Weekend Today, 19 April 2008.

A pretty good one, I'd say. However, it reminded me of something I wrote a good year or more back, a commentary on - well, well! - another of Loh's articles. The issue of having journalists who have the guts to ask the right questions seem to have eluded us all this while. Are we still debating the same thing?

For that reason, I did not respond - and also the fact tht I am dead beat with a long work day! I agree with this latest piece. However, Loh is two steps short of stating what it is that reporters can do directly to lead the change, rather than react to it, so that they may be worthy of the professional title "journalist". It sounded too much like a desire to wait for all the planets to fall into place - the perfect media environment - before quality journalism can come about.

Or am I too militant in my thinking?

Interestingly, it is also the same issue that reported bloggers suggesting to MICA on laws to regulate the Internet. Coincidence, that the issue that calls into question the quality of journalism in the 'new media' age, is als othe issue that deal with 'new media' starting to officially regulate itself? One can never tell... N

No comments: