05 September 2006

In memory of Steve Irwin

The Aussie grads in my office gathered for a hush at the end of day.

The news broke earlier yesterday morning: Steve Irwin, the famed Croc Hunter of Australian TV, has died.

The memory was poignant among us, although for different reasons. We all watched Irwin one way or another when we were Down Under. Jenn lamented the waste and the tragedy for the family. Chucky sniffed for a loss of this larger-than-life TV personality, who has brought a unique joy into Australian entertainment.

I can't help feeling a sense of peace, despite the tragic loss of a visionary, that Irwin died doing what he believed was the most important thing in the world - fostering a better public understanding of our natural environment. I am sure that, had he survived, he would have, much like Rodney Fox, declared: "Don't blame the stingray, it's gorgeous! I was just stupid..."

But I remember Irwin best as someone who broke boundaries in the media industry. With his daring antics, he was probably the first to turn a biology class into a media zoo, literally. His show connected the everyday bloke to nature. Irwin made his point by example, simply by being out there.

In many ways, his media presence was not unlike Princess Diana - he had a cause to fulfill, and he knew that the best way to do it is through media publicity. Some would call his stunts reckless and show-boating. For me, Irwin was just doing what he did best, what he believed he must do, and enjoyed himself all the way. I wonder how many of us can actually declare that while standing tall and proud before God.

To me, Irwin was an artful media user and a passionate environmentalist, characteristics which I respect and hold dear to my heart. He was a man with a cause bigger than himself, and knew exactly how he must accomplish it.

Australia has lost another great. I share their loss, as I offer my salute to the Croc Hunter. N

No comments: