28 September 2006

"Loudhailers for the voiceless underdog" - Today

Print copy of "Sometimes, protest is the only way", by Today, here. Ok, this title's quite a match. Best of all, my wife read it and said, for once, she understood every word! Too bad my Turkish boy was not included. All the aunties and uncles in my tour group were fawning over him, and I thought they would love to see him in the papers...

More interestingly, Voices' editor sent me an e-mail with Ho Kong Loon's reply, and it goes:

Ref: When actions don’t speak louder than words (Sept 19)

Howard Lee’s arguments were cogent and well marshaled. I salute him for his passion and conviction.

I assure him I had full knowledge of most of his pointers when I penned my commentary.

Today forum (Voices) is indeed a dynamic market place for contending ideas. Readers, Howard and I would surely appreciate this avenue to ventilate our differing views.

Thank you, Howard, for the additional curve to my learning process.


It was not published, but I thank Ho sincerely for his feedback. If he reads this by any chance, I would also like to assure him that my point in responding to him was purely for the sake of offering a different perspective. To me, the media should always be a platform where opinions and ideas can be exchanged freely - that proverbial open marketplace of ideas.

A good day for writers, I think, although it took me a while to realise that my letter was published... N

No comments: